Friday, August 17, 2007

Cantate Domino

Thank you to Cathy_of_Alex for her supportive post.

Yes, the beginning chant group with which I've been rehearsing is singing at the 8:30 am Saturday mass tomorrow at St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church in Minneapolis (directions). The morning begins at 7:30 with a holy hour before our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. Fr. Glen Jensen has been encouraging the people at St. Anthony's to learn the responses in latin by celebrating a beautiful liturgy in honor of Our Lady each Saturday. He's been kind enough to invite us to sing tomorrow, and perhaps more regularly in the future.

While we are beginners, we've been doing our best to prayerfully offer the following repetoire. The ordinaries are from Orbis Factor (Mass XI), and the propers taken mostly from the Solemnity of the Assumption of the BVM:

Introit - Salve Sancta Parens
Kyrie - Mass XI, B
Alleluia - Proper from the Assumption of the BVM
Offertory - Assumpta Est, O Sanctissima (hymn)
Sanctus - Mass XI
Agnus Dei - Mass XI
Communion - Beatam Dicent, Jesu Dulcis Memoria (hymn)
Recessional - Salve Regina (hymn)

Come pray with us! Sheets will be available with responses and translations of the propers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you say Fr. Jensen has been encouraging you to learn the responses in Latin, does that mean your parish plans to start using the Latin Mass when Summorum Pontificum goes into effect? Does this chant group have anything to do with that, or am I completely on the wrong track? I've been wondering what you thought of all the fuss of a month ago. Most of it was overwrought, I thought. I might have some concern that it's best for newcomers to hear the Gospel in a language they understand, but I'm sure people would be sensitive enough to that issue. Curious about your thoughts.

Anyway, break a leg! I wish I could be there to hear it.

-Matt the Friendly Protestant

Dan said...

We will sing in a mass with latin, but celebrated according the current ordinary form. The liturgy is officially written in latin and then translated into english. Nearly all parishes celebrate mass in english, but anybody can use latin whenever they want with the current ordinary form.

Pope Benedict opened the doors for any priest to celebrate the older "latin mass", meaning the mass as it was up until about 1970. The older so-called Tridentine rite was always entirely in latin, though the scripture readings could be read in the vernacular. I've never attended the older form.

I'm actually just visiting St. Anthony's for the purpose of singing. Our director contacted Fr. Jensen and worked out the logistics of us singing. I haven't heard any parishes here announce specific plans yet for implementing Summorum Pontificum. Although, there is a petition for there to a regular mass offered at our Cathedral according to the extraordinary form.

What do I think? Celebrate diversity! :) Nobody will be suddenly forced to attend mass in latin. I like the tradition of a liturgical language and distinct music that encourages prayerful participation. I do find it difficult when the entire mass is in latin, but I am also inexperienced. I follow along with a translation and can reflect on all of the prayers.

What I think will become of the Pope's liberation of the old form is a greater reverence at mass all around. People will attend the older mass and hear the beautiful chants and prayers, and experience the presence of our Lord in a more profound way, and then ask, "Why can't my parish be more like this, even if we pray in english?" I think it's a great thing because it emphasizes that there is only one Church, not pre- and post-Vatican II churches.

OMan said...

This is just great!

Wish I could do something like that but I can't sing for the life of me.

Hey if you get a chance to go to a Latin Mass then do!! I often go to Latin Mass across town where a small brilliant choir sings so beautifully you almost want to cry. There's a guy there who doesn't think himself much but he sings so perfectly it just lifts your heart to God. Our local parish here does a similar thing to you guys (Novus Ordo, but some latin singing) It's a great re-introduction to reverence.

Way to go.

Christus Vincit! Christus Regnat! Christus Imperat!