Monday, June 25, 2007

Spinning like a man!

No, not a cycling class at the gym. I'm thinking about taking up spinning wool yarn as a hobby and (small) business venture. My wife has been knitting and crocheting for many years and selling her fine wares at Ewebetcha. We've begun a mother's day tradition of attending a local wool and sheep festival as a family. So far, it's been my wife's thing, although I've been using all along various cloth diapers and wool covers for our children. But right now I think it would be fun to learn to spin. I get to use a cool-looking contraption and if I get good could have Amy sell the yarn as a semi-custom project.

This spinning wheel from Babe's Fiber Garden strikes me as particularly affordable, and the PVC (which most women spinners seem to hate) looks quite manly to me. I let you know if we get one and share my efforts to learn.

4 comments:

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Welcome back!

Biby Cletus said...

Hi i just surfed in searching for interesting facts on Essenes in the blogs.
you have a cool blog. Do keep up the good work. I'll be back for more. i live
far from where you live. its nice to be able to see what people from across
the world thinks.

On a related note perhaps you might find the following article interesting.
we are currently doing a series of posts on essenes and their culture and i'll
like to hear your take on the subject via comments. See ya there....

Historical
Facts on Essene Culture


Warm Regards from the Other Side of the Moon.
Bijoy Cletus - Kerala, India

AbecedariusRex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AbecedariusRex said...

Better to spin your wool than to gather it!